What is Iyengar Yoga?
Iyengar Yoga is based on the teachings of Yoga Master B.K.S. Iyengar author of Light on Yoga. His Daughter Geeta and son Prashant are also accomplished teachers and authors. The Iyengar family’s teachings are firmly grounded in the yoga sutras of Patanjali.
- A complete approach to physical, mental, emotional and spiritual transformation, bringing the practitioner to physical health and vitality, mental clarity and emotional serenity and poise.
- Emphasis on strength, stamina, concentration and body alignment.
- A safe, orderly, systematic progression of poses to develop a student’s ability both within a class and from class to class.
- Use of props to facilitate learning
- Highly developed teaching methodology including the precise use of language, demonstration and teaching of specific points of action in a pose, individual correction and adjustment of students.
- Ways to use yoga to ease various ailments and stress.
- Complete integration of yoga philosophy with the practice of asana.
*The above was excerpted from the pamphlet Yoga In The Iyengar Tradition published by IYNAUS